Facebook? not likely. reasons to deactivate your Facebook page

What? Yes, I know, I could be missing an opportunity to grow my blog and connect with my readers, but I prefer the person-to-person communication and for me today that is email or phone.

I also have read a lot about the benefits for your marketing of the social media and blah, blah... If my blog is interesting enough I don't need social media to promote it, and I don't like to push it on everybody, just let google do its job.

For me Facebook is noise and clutter, and I hate clutter. Also when you post something on Facebook you are giving ownership of it to the social media giant. When I see the Facebook and other social media logos I see annoying flies in the shape of free advertising badges.

So you are providing Facebook with content and they will put ads in your face, and analyze your personal data so they can know what people like you are interested in, and sell that information to marketing specialized firms.

I would like that when I say to somebody that I'm not on Facebook, they would ask me for my email address or how we can get in contact. But Facebook is the gossip and that is why Facebook is so addictive. It is also easier for people to make their life to look good if not perfect, obviously most people just put the good things online.

And about using social media for business purposes? Facebook does not want people to click on your website link, they will feed them with more content to keep them seeing Facebook ads. Yes, don't count on Facebook to help drive traffic to your site.

Main reasons to deactivate your Facebook page:

  1. You’re not getting the traffic from there to your site proportionate to the amount of time and effort updating and moderating the Facebook page.
  2. You’re not getting the traffic from there to your site proportionate to the number of views and comments of Facebook traffic.
  3. People are leaving comments under posts on Facebook but haven’t read the article posted there.
  4. You have very little actual control over your Facebook page. If you deny the ability to leave likes or comments to anyone or delete comments you'll get a storm of criticism.
  5. It’s difficult to stop other people/groups from promoting their agenda on your page.
You can also read more about Facebook criticism in Wikipedia

From time to time I like to be disconnected. Me using Facebook? That is unlikely.