Wintec Filemate SSD card. Tested

External HDD Western Digital (USB)

The main reason I'm still using a laptop from 2008 is its matte screen. The computer stability with the Snow Leopard system is very good, and I still use it for work.

Some applications need to read and write to disk files frequently, sometimes saving changes on big files can take a while. I found myself waiting for the file to save than working. To help speed this read-write process I recently put an extra SSD. I didn't swap the traditional drive for the SSD. The operation to replace the old hard drive with a new SSD requires a lot of disassembly in my MacBook model, and also I'll lose a lot of storage space. SSD's can read and write data faster but have less storage space.

I found a SSD storage device that fits into the Express Card bay. Just plug it in your laptop like a memory card and you are done. No screwdriver required.


And here is the performance of the Wintec Filemate 128 compared to internal and external HDD drives:




External HDD Western Digital (Firewire)


Internal HDD Fujitsu (Macbook Pro 4.1)

Wintec Filemate 128 (Express Card)


Conclusion:

If your laptop has an empty Express Card bay and your working files are in a different drive from the system files, you will boost the performance of your system.

Compared to the Wintec Filemate, external drives connected through Firewire or USB are ridiculously slow.

Notice: 

After 6 months the card failed. No longer was possible to write or delete data. Format attempt also failed. For this reason I do not recommend this card.